Hey I am back with the 6th installment of my skin care favorites series (bare with me just one more group left!!)
As always if you want a quick run down of the series, check out the main post here.
So there has been an update in regards to my favorite moisturizers. For a while, I was using Jurlique Moisture Replenishing Day Cream until I started to realize it was breaking me out, terrible. What I didn’t know was that the main ingredient was Rose Hips oil, which I am terrible sensitive too. So I cropped it out of the photo. I did receive a new moisturizer from Philosophy in which I will discuss in another post.
First up as my favorite is the Lancôme Énergie De Vie The Light Lotion-in-Oil available at Sephora
- Hydrates and mattes the skin.
- Super light, gel in texture.
- When used after the Énergie De Vie cleansing oil, it provides extra hydration and softness to the skin.
- There are two different kinds, one for dull skin (Dullness Relief & Energy Recharge Daily Lotion) and (Daily Aqua-Gel, which I think is similar to the light lotion in oil)
Next up is Sunday Riley Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water Cream available at Sephora
- It is my favorite!!
- Super, lightweight cream that gives a cooling sensation to the skin.
- Perfect for normal, combination, dry and sensitive skin.
- Contains two forms of hyaluronic acid and tamarind extract to help plumb and hydrate the skin. Papaya enzyme to smooth and exfoliate. Alpha-arbutin and giant white bird of paradise extract to help brighten hyperpigmentation spots and illuminate the complexion.
- Can be used a few different ways
- On top of makeup to seal in hydration and radiance
- To increase brightness, layer on top of Good Genes
- To increase hydration, use on top of Luna Sleeping night oil
Next is Ole Henriksen Sheer Moisturizer available at Sephora
- An oil-free moisturizer thats good for normal, combination, and dry skin. Though I have oily skin myself, I find it works well on my skin.
- Contains a multi-fruit AHA complex to help even the skin tone and smooth out the skins texture.
- Vitamin C to brighten, boost collagen, and firms the skin. Also provides antioxidant protection from the enviornmental damage.
- Licorice to naturally lighten dark spots and discoloration
- Pea extract and sugar to correct and prevent hyperpigmentation
- Chamomile to calm and condition the skin.
Finally is Tatcha Supple Moisture Rich Silk Cream available at Sephora and Tatcha wesbite.
- Good for normal, combination, and dry skin types.
- Super lightweight, gel cream that literally feels like silk on the face.
- Infused with an antiaging complex of green tea extract, for antioxidant protection, Okinawa red algae extract for moisture retention and texture, and Japanese rice bran extract, a multi-tasking ingredient focused on providing antioxidant and nourishing moisturizing benefts.
So this concludes my favorite moisturizers at the moment. Stay tune to read my final entry to my Skin Care Favorite series, eye creams!
Until next time,
Hey there, I am back with part 5 of my skin care favorite series. If you want, you can check my first post here, that gives a general break down of what I like to use to cleanse, treat, moisturize, protect my eyes, and hydrate my face!
Surprisingly this post is going to be short because on a daily, I only use two beauty oils, I do have a few honorable mentions but they are oils that I use every once in while when I want to try something different.
First up is Sunday Riley | Luna Sleeping Night Oil ($105.00 (USD)) available at Sephora
- Great for all skin types and helps to provide a solution for skin firmness, pore size, and wrinkles.
- Please take caution: DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU ARE PREGNANT!!!!!! due to the retinoids, please do not use this if you are pregnant or during the day.
- Can be used in conjunction with Good Genes to double the benefits that each product has to offer.
- Contains Trans-retinoic Acid Ester helps transform the skin without the irritation of retinol; helps exfoliate and revitalize the skin to show smoother, younger-looking skin | Blue Tansy and German Chamomile gives the oil its rich blue color and helps calm and soothe the skin to reduce the appearance of redness | Chia Seed Oil rich in omega 3 and a powerful source of alpha-lipoic acid. Also contains Avocado oil, concord grape seed oil, blood orange oil, blackberry oil. Tons of botanicals.
- This oil has seriously changed my face for the better. So much smoother, clearer and this oil has seriously reduce the size of my pores over time. I know it is pricey but a little goes a long way. I’ve had my bottle for almost a year now and I still have a quarter of it left. Typically use this every other night and usually 3-4 drops and I use it along with Good Genes for the added benefits.
Second and lastly, Tatcha | Gold Camellia Beauty Oil ($95.00 for 1 oz. (USD)) available at Sephora and Tatcha website.
- Can be used for all skin types. Take home a sample to see if it will work for you if you are unsure.
- This light and rich oil can also be used on the body and in your hair.
- Contains actual 24k gold flakes to provide a luminous glow to the face.
- Also contains Cameilla japonica seed oil and squalene that deeply hydrate and moisturize the skin | rice and macadamia nut oils provide antioxidant protections | licorice root for anti-redness benefits.
- This smells so good, like a sweet flower but not overpowering at all though. I haven’t used it in my hair so I can’t say that I see a difference in using it in my hair or not.
- I typically use this oil on days when I am not using the Luna Oil or if I need extra hydration in the morning before I apply my makeup. I haven’t sucked up one of the gold flakes yet so I cannot say it actually adds luminosity to my face.
- Josie Maran | Argan Oil – this oil is amazing, I recevied a full bottle, had used about half of it before my son, filled it with water and hid it from me. I am in need of a new one just haven’t had the time to buy it yet.
- Tarte | Maracuja Oil – I got this oil, primary to use with my foundations so that my heaviest ones wouldn’t go on so thickly. Perfect for the winter, not so much for the summer.
Do you use a beauty oil? Which one? Would you ever consider trying a beauty oil? Let me know in the comments below!
Until next time,
Hey everyone, I am back with the continuation of my skin care favorites and how they have transformed my face for the better. To get a general idea of what my favorite are click the link here to check it all out.
Unforturantly…I don’t have to many makeup free selfies of what my skin was before I started using serum’s and such (sorry!!!) but these products are awesome believe me!
Typically after cleansing your face, you are either going to use a mask/scrub or you are going to head straight into serum’s. Serum’s are essentially deep concentrated ingredients, such as vitamins C and E, retinol, hyrolaunic acid, alpha hydroxy acid (AHAs), beta hydroxy acid (BHAs), and etc. to penetrate the skin on a deeper level and even in some cases help boost effectiveness of the moisturizer used on top of it. They are used to mainly target particular concerns such as wrinkles, unwanted lines, hyperpigmentation/discoloration, and the current state of the skin (dryness or oilness).
So here is a list of my favorite serum’s and why!
First up is Ole Henrisken | Pure Truth Youth Activating Oil ($45.00 (USD) 1 oz)
- This product along with the truth serum collagen booster is amazing. Used it twice a day for about 2 months and noticed that all my acne scars literally got so light I could barely see them.
- 4 ingredients, literally: Rosehip Seed Oil, Tangerine Peel Oil, Lemongrass Oil, Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E) (Despite my sensitivity to rosehips, this didn’t cause any adverse reactions to my face)
- Contains vitamin A for natural cell renewal | vitamin C to help brighten, provide antioxidant protection and supports natural collagen production | omega 3, 6, and 9 to nourish and hydrate; also provides anti-inflammatory properties | vitamin E to heal scars and burns.
- The smell is a mix of roses and oranges (if that makes any sense). It didn’t bother me much but some people don’t like it.
Next up is Ole Henriksen | Truth Serum Collagen Booster ( $48.00 (USD) 1 oz or $72.00 (USD) 1.7 oz)
- Great for all skin types and when used along with the Pure Truth Activating Oil, the benefits are multiplied.
- Contains 5 source Vitamin C complex to brighten, boost collagen, reduce appearance of fines and protects from free radical change | Green tea extract to soothe and protect | Sodium Hyaluronate to replenish lost hydration and bind moisture to the skin | Vitamin E to heal, restore, and nourish.
- Weightless and fast absorbing into the skin which makes it perfect serum for applying before your makeup.
- The smell isn’t too bad but it does have a slight citrus smell.
Next serum that I love is Sunday Riley | Good Genes All-In-One Lactic Acid Treatment ($105.00 (USD) 1 oz)
- Literally one of the most expensive full size face product I own but it has been worth it. Especially when used with the Luna Sleeping Night Oil.
- Great for all skin types.
- This product can actually be used in multiple ways.
- By itself (even as a face primer)
- Under Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water Cream to help stubborn hyperpigmentation
- On top of Luna Sleeping Night Oil for antiaging radiance
- Combined with Cermaic Slip cleaner to be used as a ‘flash facial mask’ to give you a deep detox facial
- Contains Purified Grade, Unneutralize Lactic Acid 5% for brightening hyperpigmentation, plumps the looks for fine lines, exfoliate dead skin cells to help prevent future breakouts | Licorice (Glycyrrhiza Glabra) to naturally brighten the appearance of hyperpigmentation | Lemongrass helps boost radiance | Aloe to soothe the skin (does really cool the skin)
- It has a smell, not very pleasant but it doesn’t last long. Grab a sample for getting to see if you can tolerate the smell.
Next is Tatcha | Luminous Overnight Memory Serum Concentrate ($110.00 (USD) 1.7 oz)
- The texture of this is very different, sort of gel like but super cooling once applied to the face. This product is meant to help boost skin radiance for a youthful-looking glow overnight. My face looks amazing the next morning after using this.
- A little bit goes a long way, so even though it is pricey, I am sure this product will last a full 12 months.
- Contains ultra-concentrated red algae to help hydrate the skin deeply | 7 rich botanical extracts: squalane from olive fruit, green tea, wild thyme, ginseng root, licorice root, sweet marjoram, and jujube fruit to help improve skin clarity, texture and tone | HADASEI-3 ™ which is Tatcha’s antiaginig blend of green tea, rice bran, and red algae to restore and product youthful radiance.
- It is a sweet, clean smell. Nothing to irritating.
Final product is Ole Henriksen | Invigorating Night Treatment ($48.00 (USD) 1 oz)
- This night gel really helps clear up any breakouts I am currently experiencing.
- Supports natual cell turnover, improves skin apperance against fine lines and wrinkles, and smooths texture of the skin.
- Contains AHA complex to help cell renewal, diminsh fine lines and wrinkles, smooth skin texture and minimize blemishes | Algae extract to nourish the skin | Mucopolysaccharides to bind moisture to the skin.
- Doesn’t have a noticeable strong smell. Smells sort of like aloe vera.
This conlucde my favorite serums.
Do you have any favorite serums you use? Let me know in the comments below!
Until next time
Welcome back everyone! Today I am going to continue to discuss my skin care favorites mentioned here.
Masks and scrubs are a great way to exfoliate the skin and to allow deep the product to really draw up all impurities that typically aren’t reach by cleansers on a daily basis. Now typically, I use scrubs about twice a week and I use a mask about once a week. It honestly depends on the condition of my skin for the day.
A good mask can really help detoxify the skin and draw up and excess gunk that may have built up in the pores.
A good scrub can slosh away all the excess dead skin and reveal new, fresh, baby soft skin.
None of the scrubs/masks mentioned here remove makeup. You must have a freshly cleansed or makeup free face to use these products. So they would be excellent for mornings before applying makeup or a sunday afternoon skin detox session (something I personally do).
These are my absolute favorite masks and cleansers.
First up is Ole Henriksen | Truth Sugar Glow Polishing Mask (Available at Sephora in-store and online) for $42.00 (USD)
- This mask contains Raw sugar and pomegranate seeds to polish and exfoliate the skin | Honey to nourish and hydrate | Rose hips to brighten and rejuvenate with vitamins A and C and omegas 3 and 6
- Award winning!!! SELF Beauty Award winner for Best Brightening Scrub (2016)
- Smells amazing (do not eat though, it may have raw sugar and honey but it’s bitter as hell).
- I personally only use this twice a month or so. Because my face is sensitive to rose hips, I can’t use it three to four times a week as recommended. But it does leave my skin feeling super smooth and soft after using it.
Next up is LUSH Ocean Salt Face and Body scrub (Available at LUSH in-store and online) for $21.95 (4.2 oz) and $36.95 (8.8 oz)
- The mix of Sea salt to scrub away dirt and dead skin | coconut and avocado to hydrate the skin | lime and vodka to clean out blocked pores, blackheads and blemishes.
- This scrub DOES NOT remove makeup. You have to have a makeup free or freshly cleansed face to use this product.
- The scrub can create a slight burning, tingle sensation depending on how sensitive your face after you have initially cleansed your face with a liquid cleanser. This not product is NOT good for sensitive skin. Best for oily and dull skin. Dry skin people should use this sparingly (like once a month).
- Smells like a margarita. The salt, vodka, and lime are very predominate scents in the product.
Next is Peter Thomas Roth | Pumpkin Enzyme Mask (available at Sephora in-store and online) for $58.00 (USD)
- This is a three-in-one treatment that used pumpkin enzyme to exfoliate the skin | alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) as a gentle peel for the skin | aluminum oxide crystals to polish the skin.
- After the first use I noticed brighter, smoother skin.
- It smells like pumpkin pie (so serious though)
- From a few reviews, I heard that it can go bad a few 6 months or so due to the pumpkin enzyme.
- Good for those with normal to oily skin. sensitive skin users might not like the tingle sensation from the AHAs though so I would recommend getting a sample first before splurging on the full size product.
Lastly is Tatcha | Polished Classic Rice Enzyme Powder (Available at Sephora in-store and online) for $15.00 (.35 oz) and $65.00 (2.1 oz)
- Perfect for normal to combination skin types. Can be used as a daily exfoliation scrub. The product itself are tiny grains that you mix with water to produce a paste/creamy foam.
- Helps reduce pore size, even out the skin tone, and even out the texture of the skin .
- This enzyme powder can be used in conjunction with Pure One step camellia cleansing oil.
- Formulated with Japanese rice bran blended with papaya extract to reduce the look of fines and addresses the issue of uneven skintone, hyperpigmentation, and break outs | Peal protein extract to condition and balance the skin while natural exfoliants polish away dull, dry skin.
- Smells like rice. Just straight up rice.
There you have it, my favorite masks and scrubs with a few important facts about each of them.
Have you tried any of these? Which scrub or mask is your personal favorite? Let ,me know in the comments below!
Until next time
Welcome back to part two of seven all about my skincare favorites. This post I will be discussing my all time favorite cleaners and why I think you should give them a try.
For a quick reference, I have oily skin, mainly in my t-zone. My cheeks do get oily but not super oily as everywhere else. During the winter, my face gets drier overall but still gets oily throughout the day.
To get a quick overview of the types of products I will be talking about in future posts, you can check out my first skincare post here.
As you can tell, I chose to take the photos of the actual products I use on a daily to show that I really do use them (this is not to say others don’t use them, I just like taking pictures of stuff.)
First up we have:
- GlamGlow Supercleanse Daily Clearing Cleaner (available at Sephora in-store and online). Here is why it’s one of my favorites:
- Mud to foam, to help dissolve oil, makeup and impurities.
- Helps mattifiy and purify the skin by unclogging pores.
- It helps with my breakouts. Seriously, when I’m breaking out the eucalyptus leaf powder + bamboo charcoal, helps dry out any breaks in my skin when used for a few days in a row.
- Main active ingredients (excerpt taken from Sephora.com)
- –TEAOXI® Technology (Eucalyptus Leaf Powder): Delivers natural eucalyptol, natural linalool oil, and powerful flavonoids to soothe and treat skin.
–K17 and Mediterranean Clays: Detoxify, refine skin texture, and balance problem-prone skin.
–Bamboo Charcoal: Provides balanced replenishment to the skin with essential bamboo minerals.
–Black Cumin Seed Extract: Provides antimicrobial and antioxidant properties to help provide a more clear complexion.
- –TEAOXI® Technology (Eucalyptus Leaf Powder): Delivers natural eucalyptol, natural linalool oil, and powerful flavonoids to soothe and treat skin.
- Perfect for any skin type, especially oily skin, but it has peppermint oil, so the fragrance is very strong with this products.
- GlamGlow also warns that is NOT a mask and shouldn’t be worn like one.
Next, I have:
- Lancôme Energie de Vie The Cleansing oil (available at Sephora in-store and online).
- Makeup remover and cleansing oil in one.
- Really lightweight. I prefer to use this cleansing oil when I’m mainly wearing a BB cream or light to medium foundations. I found when using my full coverage foundations, it takes a bit more product to remove the makeup.
- It has an infusion of powerful antioxidants such as Soy seed, Gentiana Root, and Tamarin Fruit to help combat skin fatigue.
- The end result of using this cleanser is a face that looks dewy, like “just out the shower” glow.
- Compared to all of the other cleansing oils out there, this is the first I’ve seen where the instructions say to wet your face first before adding oil (I’ve been doing it on a dry face hahaha!!!)
We move on to,
- Algenist Purifying & Replenishing Cleanser (available at Sephora in-store and online, Algenist website)
- A gentle cleanser that will remove makeup and purify the skin in one step.
- Suitable for all skin types.
- Helps balance, soften, and moisturize the skin while reducing the size of pores.
- Typically I use this cleanser the morning after I use a makeup wipe to further ensure there’s no makeup residue left.
- Contains chamomile and cucumber extract to soothe the skin | Microalgae oil to replenish essential moisture and nourish the skin | Vitamin B to condition and moisturize the skin.
- Tatcha Pure One-step Camellia Cleansing Oil (available at Sephora in-store and online, Tatcha website)
- This cleansing oil removes my full coverage foundations with such ease and leaves your face so damn soft!
- It is a makeup remover and cleanser in one. This oil can even be used in the eye area!
- Contains botanical ingredients to leave your face soft and clean.
- Contains vitamins A, B, and E to nourish dry skin, calm sensitive skin, and decongest oily skin. This oil is also rich in oleic and linoleic acids.
- Active ingredients also include Camellia oil (containing a higher percentage of omega-9 oleic acid than olive oil + Hadasei-3(tm) Bioactive Complex which is a blend of green tea, Okinawa red algae, and Japanese rice bran extracts to help nourish and protect the skin.
- Mix this with the Polished Classic Rice Enzyme Powder and you have yourself and amazing exfoliating cleanser.
My skin cleansing tool of choice is,
- Fore Luna mini (available Sephora online and in select stores. There is also a larger version (the Luna) and the second generation (Luna mini 2))
- It’s a facial brush that uses T-Sonic ™ pulsations through soft silicone touch for a deep gentle cleansing.
- There are three different brushes:
- Thick on the back for oilier skin.
- Medium and thinner on the first for dry or sensitive skin.
- Gentle vibrations help break up pores that are clogged with dirt, oil, and makeup residue. It enhances the absorption of skin care products.
- Comes with a two year warranty, a charger (I’ve had my Luna mini since January 7th and only charged it once and it was the day I bought it. I believe this can hold a charge for up to 5 or 6 months (compared to my Clarisonic).
- Since switching to Luna mini, I didn’t have to charge my device as often nor worry about buying new brush head every 60-90 days.
- DO NOT use the following cleansers because they may damage the soft silicone touch-points:
- grainy cleansers, exfoliators or scrubs
And there you have! Sorry for the long post, I just love providing as much info as possible.
What are your favorite cleansers and/or cleansing tools? Let me know in the comments below and stay tuned for the next post all about my favorite Mask and Scrubs.
Until next time!!
Hey everyone! I am back to discuss a very important topic:
Yup, that’s me. No makeup just my Tatcha eye cream + Jurlique day cream with the Algenist color correcting drops
If you think the key to a flawless foundation application is a good primer, then you are half way correct. In order to ensure you foundation goes on and stays on flawlessly (even if you forget a primer because some days I actually do!) your skin must be in a prime condition.
This is the first part of the seven part series in regards to skin care. The next post will be about cleaners, then masks/scrubs, serums, moisturizers, beauty oils, and eye creams.
If you devote yourself to wearing makeup, namely foundation/concealer, on a daily basis, then you need to develop a proper skin care regime. There are a few things that count as a good skincare regime. They include:
- Drinking lots of water (at least a half gallon a day, especially if you have dry, cracked lips, increasing your water intake will help keep them naturally moisturized).
- Eating whole foods (avoiding tons of bad for you fats).
- Washing your pillow cases often (your pillowcase can be the cause of some of your breakouts).
- Cleaning your brushes on a weekly basis (simple mix of baby shampoo and warm water will help get them clean. There are soaps and cleansers dedicated to brushes though).
- Properly cleansing your face every night. Even if it is just using a makeup cleansing cloth, take it off before you go to bed.
- Keeping your hands out of your face in general (unless they are clean of course).
- Wear sunscreen!!! If you’re outside a lot or exposing your face to tons for sunlight in general, wear a high powdered SPF. Some foundations and moisturizers have SPF infused which is awesome but it can cause some flashback (mainly due to the ingredient is zinc oxide) so be careful. Sunscreen should be reapplied every few hours if possible. If you’re wearing foundation, you can choose an SPF spray specially made for the face.
If you do all that, then hey you should have some pretty nice skin then (besides hormonal changes and such. Can’t fight nature sadly). But lets be honest, we are human and sometimes we try but don’t necessarily do all of that stuff listed. This is where a trust combination of products can help you achieve healthy, balanced skin.
There are my top favorite cleansers and cleansing tool (Sorry they are dirty. They are well used :))
- GlamGlow | Supercleanse Daily Treatment cleanser
- Lancôme | Énergie De Vie The Cleansing oil
- Algenist | Purifying & Replenishing cleanser
- Tatcha | Pure one step camellia cleansing oil
- Foreo | Luna mini
Masks and Scrubs
These are my top masks and scrubs used on a daily to weekly basis:
- Ole Henrisken | Truth Sugar Glow polishing mask
- LUSH | Ocean salt
- Peter Thomas Roth | Pumpkin Enzyme Mask
- Tatcha | Polished classic rice enzyme power
- Ole Henriksen | Pure Truth youth activating oil
- Ole Henriksen | Truth Serum Collagen booster
- Sunday Riley | Good Genes treatment
- Tatcha | Overnight recovery serum concentrate
- Ole Henriksen | Invigorating night gel (when I have break outs)
- Sunday Riley | Luna Sleeping Night Oil
- Tatcha | Gold Camellia beauty oil
- Lancôme | Énergie de vie The light lotion-in-oil
- Sunday Riley | Tidal brightening enzyme water cream
- Ole Henriksen | Sheer Transformation
- Tatcha | Supple moisture rich silk cream
- Jurlique | moisture replenishing day cream
- Algenist | Reveal concentrated color correcting drops (a few drops mixed in with my moisturizer)
Truth be told, I have a few different eye creams but this is the one I like the best. I do have a second favorite but I lost it -_- but it is by Pur-Elise 4-in-1 lotus eye cream (I believe)
- Tatcha | Luminous deep hydrating firming eye serum
- Algenist | Reveal concentrated color correcting drops (mixed in the eye serum)
Stay tuned for separate follow up posts in which I go in to greater detail as to why I love these products and how they have transformed my face.
Until next time!